City of Vancouver
Planner II (Repost)
Requisition ID: 7284
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Planner II is involved in coordinating, developing and managing land use and rezoning policy initiatives and projects. The successful candidate will have extensive experience in managing complex rezoning files, leading community engagement, evaluating proposals, communicating complex ideas and working with interdisciplinary project teams.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Planner II will take responsibility for the evaluation and processing of complex and controversial rezoning applications. The Planner II will work under the guidance of the Assistant Director Planning (Midtown), a Senior Planner and collaboratively with other members of the Vancouver Midtown team and other departments. The work will involve supervision of junior staff and consultants. Strong interpersonal, public engagement and communications skills are key, and central to the Planner II’s role will be direct engagement with applicant teams and members of the community.
The Planner II will be responsible for managing specific work programs, including defining and implementing a comprehensive public engagement component and liaising on a regular basis with the applicant. Responsibilities include report writing, meeting facilitation, and giving presentations to other staff, management, City Council and the public. Working knowledge in all policy areas related to the Vancouver Midtown Division including community plans, policy statements and rezoning is recommended.
- University graduate degree in Planning or related university degree with experience similar to the duties required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, combined with experience in coordinating staff, leading planning programs and policy projects.
- The candidate must be able to work independently and participate successfully on work teams and with the public, and to complete assignments using sound professional techniques and judgement.
- Considerable familiarity with the rezoning process is required. This should include experience in structuring, directing and evaluating consultant studies, and writing reports summarizing complex issues and making sound recommendations.
- Considerable knowledge of City policies and Guidelines, public consultation, land use issues, site planning, urban design, community amenity assessments, transportation, affordable housing, sustainable development and real estate economics is essential, as is a solid understanding of the City and Vancouver’s approach to securing public benefits.
- Demonstrated teamwork, facilitation, project management and communications skills, together with considerable skill in collaborative decision making, negotiation, interest-based problem solving, and demonstrated ability to achieve multiple program objectives within defined timelines are essential. Successful experience in dealing with diverse interest groups is also desirable.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: December 4, 2017
Position End Date: July 31, 2018
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-031: $46.88 to $55.46 per hour
Application Close: November 19, 2017